Monday, October 1, 2007

Small Talk

Nora is adding new words to her vocabulary left and right... I can't keep the word watch list updated anymore! I'll leave it there for a little while if you're wondering what her first batch of words contained, but I can't keep up with adding new words. Some of what she says is so funny... maybe only to us because, of course, every parent is so in love with their own child! Here are some examples, though, of what/ when she's said (she's working one word at a time at this point):
  • Two weeks ago I was pulled over and got a speeding ticket on Southfield Fwy (still 55 mph, folks... a friendly reminder). The officer took all my information, then came back and presented me with a ticket for 5 mph over. As he walked away, Nora said "Uh oh..." You can say that again, sister.
  • Nora says her name, but just whispers it. She seems to do that with words that are important to her when she first starts saying them. Back in the day when "Daddy" was a new word, she'd whisper it. I'd encourage her to say it again, "but this time you can say it loud." She'd promptly say "LOUD!"
  • Her first joke? Almost every weekday, Nora will ask me where her dad is ("Daddy?") I tell her he went to work, and for a few days she would respond to this by saying "Potty!" and laughing. I don't even know what that joke means, but I had to laugh too because she thought it was soo funny.

Our friend Beth came over yesterday and Nora was excited... first because she loves Beth and second because "Beth" is one of the names she can say. I heard her say it several times, especially when Beth walked out of the room and Nora 'needed' to know where she'd gone. "Beth! Beth!" and she'd run in the direction Beth had last been headed. I talked to Genny yesterday and told her that Nora's name list includes Beth, Bob, Anna, Lola, and Elmo... and that "Genevieve" is probably right around the corner!

We also took Nora to the apple orchard on Saturday. They had a tiny petting farm (not interested) and a little cat wandering around (greatest thing ever). We checked out the pumpkins (not interested) and got some donuts and cider (second greatest thing ever). So next weekend, we're just going to get a box of donuts, invite a stray cat into the yard and skip the trip to the orchard.

Here is another batch of recent pictures. Enjoy, and thanks for checking in!
Love,
Sarah, Brett and Nora
Naptime... I found her sleeping sideways a couple of weeks ago:

Sleepy girl:
"Reading" Dad's book in Mom and Dad's bed:
With Little Fil in the snuggly couch nest she made:
In the Pumpkin Patch at the Apple Orchard:

Eating donuts with Daddy:

With Mom at the Apple Orchard:

This is what she does if you ask her to make a silly or a crazy face:

Just about on her way to bed:

2 comments:

Genevieve said...

Oh, Nora, you are a crack-up! Natalie and I were talking last night about not only how funny you are, but about how you KNOW you're so funny! I can just see you cracking up at yourself with your jokes and thoughts... And in that great picture of you and your mom, I can hear your laugh! It's so great to see how happy you are... And I can just see you following around the cat at the apple orchard- Tell mom not to bother inviting a stray over, as you might have your very own cat come January- His name is Oliver! I am excited to see you in just a couple weeks on dad's marathon/ mom's birthday weekend! Yesterday I was looking at your pics and tearing up at your sweetness... I miss you, Noodleman!

The Schommer Clan said...

Ok.. Really please stop! You have me laughing out loud.

Can Lucas and I come visit for Donuts and Cat fun?