Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Zoo - Take 2

We tried to take Nora to the Zoo Saturday, (Nov 1) only to discover that they started their new, shorter hours that day. She took the blow surprisingly well, in part b/c Brett immediately promised we'd come back the next day. It was considerably chillier, but she didn't care.

just smile naturally... good!
John was unimpressed with his first visit, but he didn't have much of a view! Both days we were able to visit with my dad's family -- they'd come into town for Uncle Bob's surprise birthday dinner. I, of course, have no pictures, though the camera was in the diaper bag.


John at the zoo
Also, this fall I've just about finished what may be the longest furniture refinishing project ever. My Grandma Kenrick gave me this desk in 1996, when I was still in college. It was painted pink, and I decided I would refinish it. In the stripping process, I discovered that besides pink, it had also been canary yellow, lime green, teal, red, black, and maybe a couple of other colors too, before I spotted the original, but damaged, dark finish. The original top was damaged, so my Grandpa Yavello made me a new solid mahogany top in his workshop several years ago. That top was slightly damaged when we got water in our basement, but I was able to sand that out, and a few weeks ago, spent the weekend staining and sealing this sucker. I still have to attach the top to the base and decide on pulls for the drawers, but this project is pretty much done! Time to look for a new one! (just kidding... Brett will drop the hammer on me if I show up with another piece of furniture to refinish, unless it will somehow turn into a 52" flat screen tv when I'm done).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice job!! Looks professional!!

Unknown said...

I remember you working on that desk at State, so it is great to see it finally finished. Excellent work!